Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dumpster paintings by Rachel Maxi.

I find it interesting how artists become fixated on certain objects which then become a main focus of their work. Rachel Maxi, a Seattle artist, finds beauty in trash dumpsters around the country and has been painting them for some time. Maxi's depiction of these objects sometimes have a setting and other times sit on stark, white ground. Either way, she captures the beauty of these mundane objects that we overlook because of their purpose.

I am a fan because they are a perfect canvas for graffiti. Their colors are that of utilitarian design. Their markings tell the story of their owners, vandalism, and street art. In the end, Maxi shows beauty in objects that most people did not realize existed and that is what makes a good artist.

You can see more of her work here and here.















1 comment:

  1. Hey Robert,
    Thanks for posting my work on your blog. I have one correction to make: I am not an Ohio artist; I reside in Seattle, Washington. I am from Ohio but moved here almost 20 years ago.
    Cheers!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete